Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

The Smudger
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Hello from Wiltshire

Post by The Smudger » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:21 am

Hi all, thanks for letting me join.

I have a small collection of bikes, mainly old British stuff, but I also have a 1976 Garelli Tiger cross that I restored myself last year. I had one as a sixteen year old and so just had to get another!

I recently saw at an Autojumble a frame for what looked like a 1970’s Gilera. All that was there was the frame, Ceriani forks, front mudguard, swing arm, rear wheel and front brake backplate. It looked really sad so after a quick haggle I bought it! It’s in the garage now, I’ve given the frame and all the parts a good old clean up and the search for parts has begun.

I have, with the help of a friend who has one, I think identified the bike as a mid 70’s Gilera 50 Touring Moped. I think I may have found an engine, exhaust, and a lot of the other parts are available through Bob Wright in Weston-Super-Mare. I know Bob as I bought a lot of the spares for the Garelli from him. The plan is to amass the parts and lovely build a bike, then strip it back down and restore it back to its original glory. I get a buzz out of ‘saving’ what was a rusty wreck lying on the floor outside in an Autojumble, it’s like for me another one back on the road!

So, a couple of questions for you guys on here, hopefully someone can help?

Is anyone able to tell me what year and exact model it is by the frame number please? It’s 019 4068.

How do I go about registering it and getting a V5 once it’s done?

Thanks all!

Best regards,

Steve.

Joachim
Gileristi

Re: Hello from Wiltshire

Post by Joachim » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:30 pm

Hello and welcome

#19 is on a handwritten list published here some times ago
It tells Turismo 9/52 to 3/54
What may be not the truth ;)
So you may send some pics for those who are more common to this old stuff ;)

ciao Joachim

Nozem
Gileristi

Post by Nozem » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:37 am

Hi Steve,

Great bike, that will be a nice project! I think you are right, the Gilera VIN series starting with *010* to *079* are 70s and 80s mopeds.
A VIN number starting with *018* is a 50cc 4V (4 speed) dating from 1972 or later. But I do not know if this is the frame or engine number.
Is the VIN number *019* you found on your bike the frame number or the engine number? I look forward to see some pictures of your project!
Best advice is to get a hold of the complete book about the Gilera mopeds or the Haynes manual.

BTW what Joachim mentioned is also correct, the 1950s Gilera motorcycles VIN number starting with *19* is a 150 Turismo.

Greetings,
Nozem rulez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joachim
Gileristi

Post by Joachim » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:54 am

hmmm.... 19 may not be the same as 019 :|

ciao Joachim

The Smudger
Tank-Reserve-Benutzer

Post by The Smudger » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:54 am

Hi chaps! Thanks for the replies.

It’s definitely a ‘019’ and it’s the frame not engine (I don’t have the engine!). I think it’s a Gilera 50 Touring from c.1975 ish?

It’s definitely not an RS as they were kick start and the RS was a 5 speed (5V). So, as it’s a pedal frame it’s almost definitely going to be a 4 speed. Attached are some pics so far. I have stripped and cleans what’s there, and what you can see in the pictures is all I have!!!