Saturno 500 Wiring Anomoly?

Forum für klassische und neue Gilera-Motorräder
Bulletin Board for classic and new Gilera-Motorcycles

Moderator: Joachim

John Ward
Angstbremser

Saturno 500 Wiring Anomoly?

Postby John Ward » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:59 am

HI - just passing on this info' in case anyone comes across something similar or has some relevant knowledge etc

1988 Saturno Bialbero 500

On changing the battery recently I replaced the fuses at the same time.

On re-connecting the battery the ignition was power-on and all electrics available with the ignition switch off.

I initially thought I had re-connected the battery wrong .

This bike has a fuse holder with 2 x fuses (15 A & 7.5 A) with supporting wiring, there is also a a 20 amp fuse on the voltage regulator.

The Saturno wiring diagram that I have shows only a 20 amp fuse on the regulator and a single 15 A fuse ahead of the ignition switch.

This bike seems to have the 3 x fuse system as per some Nordwest Diagrams - though the 2 x fuse and 3 x fuse wiring systems support different ignition switches and my ignition switch is definitely saturno type.

To fix the ‘power on all times’ problem I removed 1 x fuse from the 2 x fuse carrier.

On inspection of my old (removed) fuses I noted that 1 x was faulty/blown – maybe it had been intentionally fitted as such?

Every function works OK with the offending fuse removed – but I am confused as to how it came to this - the harness looks and probably is original.

I spent a bit of time ‘fault finding’ before removing the offending fuse and fixing the problem – so pass this on in case anyone gets confused by similar issues or can explain if I am misunderstanding something? Are there any good electrical diagrams available?

I know how to start the bike easy should I lose my key now!

Cheers

John

Joachim
Gileristi

Re: Saturno 500 Wiring Anomoly?

Postby Joachim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 am

wired... uhmmm... weird giggle

ciao Joachim

John Ward
Angstbremser

Re: Saturno 500 Wiring Anomoly?

Postby John Ward » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:14 am

On the face of it, It seems to be Wired/Weird Joachim though there are no obvious additions to the harness etc.

The #2 (redundant) fuse appears to be connected to the switched side of the ignition switch circuit.

Does your Bike (other Saturno's) have the 2 x fuse carrier and the fuse on the regulator? - I thought maybe that there is some standardisation of wiring harnesses and components between Saturno's and Nordwests/Dakotas etc and maybe they just connect them to suit.

Do the circuit diagrams only show the functioning circuit omitting what is needed for other equipment?

Cheers

John

Return to “gileraclub.de-Classic english, french, italian language”